Having a dog is a lot of fun but it comes with a set of responsibilities too. If you look past all those cuddles, wet nose, and unconditional love, you will soon realize it is a lot of responsibility, and one needs to take enough care to ensure both the dog and people around are safe and happy.
So what does responsible ownership mean?
- When you buy a dog, you need to ensure he has all his needs met. This includes his food needs as well as physical activity. You may have to buy him different types of food to meet his needs and make him a healthy dog.
- You need to spend quality time with him every day and give him enough physical activity. This will exercise his bones and muscles, helping them to get stronger and fitter.
- You need to clean up after your dog. No matter how well you have trained him, dogs may go when they have to and it may not be the right place. At such times, you should be prepared to clean up after them because they are yours and it is your responsibility as an owner to clean up after them
- You should ensure they are well trained and suitable to go out in public. They need to know how to behave with and around other people. If they are going to be barking at everyone and snapping at random people, others are not going to be very happy with this behavior and it might cause them to take some action against you and your mutt.
- You should get your dog a bed suitable for his size. You cannot buy one of the Big Dog Beds for a small dog and vice versa. Get one appropriate to their size and they will be comfortable and sleep well all night.